Campfire Apple Cobbler
Make a delightful dessert in your cast iron skillet! This easy recipe can also be served as a sweet breakfast treat. For after dinner, top with vanilla ice cream and cinnamon. Yum!
1 hour, 15 mins
Total cook time
- 2 cups a Signature SELECT® all-purpose flour (divided)
- 12 cups granny smith apples (about 4 pounds) (thinly sliced and peeled)
- 2/3 cup Signature SELECT® Sugar (divided)
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup chilled butter (cut into small pieces)
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples with 1/2 cup flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons melted butter, vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cinnamon. Spoon into a large cast-iron frying pan. Add 1/4 cup water.
Combine remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl; cut in 1/4 cup butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk and stir until just moist. Drop tablespoon-sized scoops of batter over apple mixture.
Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until bubbly and browned. Serve warm.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.