Mussels with Italian Turkey Sausage, Tomato & Basil
When mussels and turkey sausage meet up with white wine and tomato, pure kitchen alchemy occurs in this quick dinner recipe. The broth that brews at the bottom of the pot will make you feel that a piece of crusty bread (for soaking, of course) is your new best friend.
Total cook time
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil,
- 2 links hot or sweet turkey sausage, , casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic, , minced
- 1 large shallot, , halved and sliced
- 1½ cups chopped fresh plum tomatoes,
- 1 cup dry white wine,
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper,
- 4 pounds mussels, , cleaned
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil,
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage, garlic and shallot and cook, breaking up the sausage into small pieces, until it is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add tomatoes, wine and pepper and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in mussels. Cover and cook just until the mussels have opened, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and discard any unopened mussels. Serve with the sauce from the pot, sprinkled with basil.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.