Better Homes & Gardens
Caramel-Apple Baked French Toast
This decadent French toast will bring a smile to breakfast, thanks to tangy apples, a sweet caramel sauce and a cinnamon-spice blend. Prep it the night before, so all you have to do is slip it in the oven when you wake up.
1 hour, 10 mins
Total cook time
- 2 9-ounce loaves whole-grain baguette-style French bread,
- 1 large red-skin cooking apple, such as Jonathan or Gala, chopped,
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice,
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten, or 1 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 4 eggs, lightly beaten,
- 1 cup nonfat milk,
- ½ cup sugar-free caramel ice cream topping, divided,
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract,
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon,
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger,
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg,
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray. Trim ends off baguettes and discard. Cut remaining baguettes crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Arrange bread slices on edge in the prepared baking dish. Top bread with apple. Brush apple with lemon juice.
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, 2 tablespoons ice cream topping, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Slowly pour egg mixture over bread slices, making sure to pour in between each.
Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or until top is golden brown, apple is tender and mixture is heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Drizzle with remaining ice cream topping.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.