Dinner in a Pumpkin
This meal in a pumpkin is perfect for fall.
1 hour, 15 mins
Total cook time
- 4 5-inch pie pumpkins
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (prepared to package directions)
- 2 cups quartered Brussels sprouts
- 2 cups diced apple (fuji or gala)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 5 ounces goat cheese (crumbled)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat oven to 350º. Cut off tops of pumpkins. Thoroughly clean out seeds and pulp. Set aside.
In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and cook 2-3 minutes until slightly translucent and edges are beginning to brown. Add Brussels sprouts and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add apple and cook additional 2 minutes until mixture has some brown edges.
Add broth and vinegar, scraping bottom of pan. Add rice, cheese, cranberries and pecans. Remove from heat and stir mixture until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
Spoon mixture into pumpkins. Replace pumpkin tops and place on rimmed baking sheet. Bake 50-60 minutes until flesh of pumpkin in soft.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.